A healer / tank / etc should let someone die whenever they deem it appropriate.
When I was a young healer / tank I’d try to save everyone, over time I’ve become jaded and realized some people just aren’t worth saving. (Like in that song.)
There are a number of reasons why I might let someone die (as a tank) or downshift their triage priority (as a healer/decurser/cc) often resulting in their death. My main reasons for not helping someone is that the person needing help is either being bad, they’re a megadouche, or they’re jumping up and down on my very last nerve, or all of the above.
Before I continue, I’d like to define “bad”: I believe there’s a difference between a bad and an inexperienced player. I almost always take the time to explain things to the inexperienced and understand there will be a learning curve and it may take doing something correctly a few times before it clicks. Inexperienced folks will take advice and do better, bads will freak out, ignore, or argue with advice, keep doing the same stupidity over and over, and never get better. If I’m calling someone bad, it means I’ve already tried to help and it didn’t work.
I tend to be less helpful towards:
- Meter Spammers and generally cocky players for jumping up and down on my very last nerve: You topped the meters on Northrend Beasts, but you were dead last on Snobolds. What does that mean? It means you still suck and you’re still bad. You have agro? I’m not taunting. Awww. You have curse of Tupor? That’s too bad, I just accidentally dragged my decurse key off my bars. Standing in the shit and yelling for heals while you pad your meters? I’m sorry, I don’t heal stupid. If you’re dead, you don’t top the meters and therefore can’t stroke your epeen. By resisting my urge to save other people and letting you die, mostly due to your own mistakes, I’m mercifully sparing everyone from having to endure yet another episode of your egotistical exhibitionist e-masturbation.
- The Weakest Link for being bad: I know you. You started out inexperienced or undergeared or you’re someone’s alt that knows the fights but was learning your class. You’ve now had ample time to learn now but you’re still standing in the stupid and doing it wrong. You’re in good gear but my alt in blues is outDPSing you. You’re always the one taking excess damage on everything. You spend a good portion of time face-tanking the floor already. I could sit by and heal you and watch over you and baby you, but I know you’ll fail at avoiding Sindragosa’s frost bombs and die as soon as I get icetombed. What’s the point in wasting my mana to save you? Your computer is probably better than my ancient dinosaur, if I can get out of the stupid at less than 10fps, you can too.If you fail you can just enjoy the repair bill. Consider it taxes on being carried.
- Situationally Unaware Lowbie Who Never Reads Chat for being bad: I take the time to explain things to you in randoms. I say, “You see those green oozes? Kite them, don’t let them hit you or you’ll probably get gibbed.” “See those oozes? When they die they make a puddle of gas, if you stand in it, you’ll die.” No, really. Move it. I know, the corpses are sparkling but the gas will kill you. Move your toon and and wait. Hey move!
Situationally Unaware Lowbie has died.
I told you so.
- Pulls Before Tank for being bad: Mr. DPS, if you run in and pull something then you’re stupid. If you open up before the mob the tank pulled reaches them and you pull agro then you’re impatient and stupid. I don’t heal stupid. I’m going to let you die, respect your tank and let them do their jobs.
- Taunting DPS for being bad: Did you see that in party chat? It’s called “Who Taunted”, and it’s calling you out for taunting off of the tank. That’s right, Hand of Reckoning is a taunt, Mr. Ret Paladin. I’m sorry, Mr. DPS Warrior, other classes can tank too. Stop doing that. You’re not going to? It’s ok, I’ll just let the boss gib you when you taunt it off the tank. Keep it up and I’ll votekick you.
- Dances with Rankwatch for being bad: My rankwatch has been sending you messages for the past two hours. Why haven’t you updated your bars between pulls? Do you like the spam? Why haven’t you ported out to train skills? There’s been plenty of downtime. A simple, “Hey guys, I forgot something in my bank, can you summon me?” during a raid’s loot cycle will due and few will know you went to train your skills. Those that know you’re downranking will probably be happy you fixed the problem. Your continued refusal to go fix your problem means you’re not carrying your own weight. My mana is better used on people who do.
- Ungemmed and Unenchanted for being bad: I know sometimes someone might forget to enchant/gem a new piece, maybe you just got it. But if all of your stuff is unenchanted and ungemmed then you shouldn’t be in a 25 man ICC or any raid. You have no respect for anyone’s time, I’m going to save my mana for people who care and pull their own weight.
- Stacks the Wrong Stats for being bad: Hunter with expertise gems? Spellpower DK? Spirit and MP5 stacking Healadin? Parry gems? Really? You haven’t researched your class and role at all, you haven’t got a clue, and you’re wasting everyone’s time, not pulling your own weight, and gimping yourself.
- Gearscore Whores for jumping up and down on my very last nerve: You come into a raid and talk about Gearscore. You nitpick others gear and complain, sometimes about me. Oh noes, that holy priest has a blue quality alchemist trinket. Baaaaaaw. She also two-healed the first wing of ICC10, including heroic lootship without issue so shove it. See player with low gearscore wearing my guild tag or the tag of another reputable guild on our server? They’re going to blow you out of the water because they’re an alt of a skilled and experienced player. Unlike you, a stranger who tries to justify your presence with Gearscore, I know that player won’t stand in the stupid. People are progressing in ICC wearing all blues, who really cares about Gearscore?
If you want to live then stay out of the stupid, let others do their jobs, respect others enough to gem, enchant, and L2P, and leave your meters, GS, and ego at the door.